Memorials in Tadcaster
The freestanding War Memorial in Tadcaster is situated in Westgate. It was dedicated on 30th July 1921. It is made of Portland stone and is a Celtic style cross on an octagonal plinth. There are 107 names from the first world war, and 32 names from the second world war.
Both St Mary’s Church and St Joseph’s Catholic Church also have memorial plaques. In St Mary’s, as well as memorials to the First and Second World Wars, there is a separate memorial to those lost in the Boer War.
Tadcaster Cemetery has war graves not only from the two World Wars, but also one grave from the second Boer War 1899-1902.
Memorials in the surrounding villages
Many of the surrounding villages have memorials to the war dead.
Kirkby Wharfe cemetery extension has the graves of 23 airmen from the second world war, there is also one grave from a British soldier who died during the 1914-1918 war.
Healaugh has a freestanding cross with names of both World War 1 and World War 2 dead inscribed. There is also a Memorial Hall dedicated to Stamp and Hugh Brooksbank who died in World War 1.
Bolton Percy also has a stone freestanding cross with 23 names from the World War 1. All Saint’s Churchyard has one Commonwealth Grave from World War 2.
Outside Towton, there is a free-standing cross commemorating the Battle of 1461.
The memorial to the Battle of Bramham Moor, 1408, used to be near the road from Tadcaster to Bramham but has now been moved to the Churchyard at Bramham.